Prison complaints

Before you contact us, you first need to take your complaint through the Prison Service internal complaints process.

You should:

  • talk to staff on your prison wing to see if they can sort out the matter informally - you might also like to speak to a member of the Independent Monitoring Board (IMB)
  • if you can’t get the matter resolved informally, you should then make a formal complaint using forms available on your wing
  • if you are unhappy with the response to your complaint, you should appeal against it (again using the forms in your wing).

If you are still not happy and think that you have been dealt with unfairly, you can then complain to us.  You must contact us within three months of receiving a reply to your appeal.

More information and advice

For more information on how we investigate your complaint:

Help for speakers of other languages

There is a translation service available for those who do not speak English as a first language. Contact us to find out more or see the Publicity Material page for the How to complain to the Ombudsman leaflet in other languages.

Contact Details