Probation complaints

Before you contact us, you first need to take your complaint through the National Probation Service’s internal complaints process.

You should:

  • talk to staff in your probation office to see if they can sort out the matter informally
  • if you can’t get the matter resolved informally, you should then make a formal complaint to the Chief Officer of the Probation Area
  • if you are unhappy with the response to your complaint, you should appeal the decision by writing to the Probation Board Secretary.

If you are still not happy, you can then complain to us.  You must contact us within three months of receiving a reply to your appeal.

More information and advice

For more information on how we investigate your complaint:

There is a translation service available for those who do not speak English as a first language. Contact us to find out more or or see the Publicity Material page for the How to complain to the Ombudsman leaflet in other languages.

Contact Details